Childcare Benefits for Postdoctoral Scholars


As of Oct. 1, 2023, postdoctoral scholars are eligible to be reimbursed for up to $2,500 per year for qualifying childcare expenses.


Effective October 1, 2023, bargaining unit members are eligible for reimbursement of up to $2,500 annually for childcare expenses (children living in the home, age 12 or under) and reimbursement of travel related childcare expenses; annual reimbursement amount increases to $2600 on October 1, 2024, to $2700 on October 1, 2025 and to $2800 on October 1, 2026.

Specific details about the new childcare benefit are outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.


Pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement, all bargaining unit employees with a current appointment for use for eligible dependents, who are age 12 or under as of the date the expense is incurred and who are living in the eligible employee’s home (includes Foster Care/Adoption and shared custody arrangements).


General Childcare:

  • One time verification of dependent age 12 or under (birth certificate, passport)
  • Receipts from a licensed childcare provider
  • Such receipts must show childcare expenses incurred during employment at the University over the three-month period as defined in Section D below.

Business travel documentation when postdoctor scholar is on approved travel:

  • Additional childcare support at home for time postdoctoral scholar is traveling.
  • On site childcare while the postdoctoral scholar is on approved travel.
  • Travel expenses for child and/or caregiver to postdoctoral scholar approved travel location
  • Food and lodging receipts for a caregiver when they stay overnight to care for the child.
  • Cost of shipping expressed breastmilk for child at home while postdoctoral scholar is on approved travel
  • Such receipts must show expenses incurred during the postdoctoral scholar’s employment at the University over the three-month period as defined below.

Timelines for submission

Dates Expenses Occurred: 

  • October 1-December 31
    • Submission deadline: January 31
  • January 1-March 31
    • Submission deadline: April 30
  • April 1-June 30:
    • Submission deadline: July 31
  • July 1-September 30
    • Submission deadline: October 31

Timeline for reimbursement

No later than 30-days from when the request is submitted to the MyExpense system assuming all documentation is provided.

Reimbursement process

  • A process using MyExpense for reimbursing childcare costs already exists for Biohub gift recipients and NRSA fellows (Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards).
  • A MyExpense reimbursement request must be submitted by the individual postdoc or delegated user to receive reimbursement.
  1. Log into MyAccess and click on the MyExpense link*
  2. From the MyExpense homepage, click +New > Start a Report
  3. Complete the Report Header including:
    • Enter the Business Purpose: “Authorized Dependent Care”
    • Enter the Childcare Reimbursement Program central office chartstring information (see below). See NIH/AHRQ NRSA Childcare Reimbursement Process if the expense is covered by a grant or fellowship.
      • Fund: 5018
      • Dept Id: 505100
      • Project: 4444444
      • Function: 72
      • Unit ID: SFCMP
      • Select the Expense Type: Miscellaneous Employee Reimbursement
      • Click the Create Report button
  4. Click the Add Expense button. Select the Expense Type: Authorized Dependent Care under the section 3: Misc. Employee Reimbursement
  5. Enter details for the expense. Then click the Upload Receipt Image section to attach required supporting documentation including:
    • Detailed receipt(s) showing the dependent care expense (including dates of service and evidence of license number)
    • Click the Save Expense button
  6. Submit the expense report
  • The request will be routed to regular departmental authorized approver(s). Departments are responsible for validating eligibility and total reimbursement amounts.
  • For more MyExpense instructions, please refer to the Creating and Submitting your Expense Report guide. For questions on navigating and accessing MyExpense, please contact Supply Chain Management.
  • Reimbursements are considered taxable income and will be recorded in UCPath when applicable and included on annual tax documents. This step will be handled by UCSF Payroll.
  • Employees should utilize grant/fellowship funds prior to the chartstring identified above and are strongly encouraged to meet with departmental administrator first to confirm correct chart string information.
  • For technical assistance, submit a help ticket to the Supply Chain Management (SCM) Response Team.


Dependent care flexible spending account

Postdoctoral scholars who meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Childcare Reimbursement and Dependent Care Programs article of the UC-UAW Agreement may participate in the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Program. Dependent care flexible spending account cannot be used to cover expenses reimbursed under the Childcare Reimbursement Program.