Knowledge Bank: Pregnancy Disability Leave
A brief overview of the process to complete the action.
Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL) occurs when an employee takes a leave due to pregnancy, childbirth or a pregnancy-related medical condition. Pregnancy Disability Leave allows an employee to return to the same or similar position.
The HR generalist collaborates with the employee to plan Pregnancy Disability Leaves of Absence. The HR Benefits Specialty Center and Disability Management may collaborate on complex leaves.
The employee will be advised on:
- What actions to take before, during, and after the leave
- California state and federal leave protections: Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL), Family and Medical Leave (FML), and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- Policies/contracts covering usage of sick leave and/or vacation leave
- Disability insurance coverage
- How to continue health benefits while on Leave Without Pay (LWOP)
Learn about the Campus Pregnancy Disability Leave Workshop.
Relevant UC and local policies or collective bargaining agreements.
- Having A Baby
- Family Medical Leave Act
- California Family Rights Act
- Pregnancy Disability Law for California
- UC Policy on Leave due to Pregnancy, Childbirth, or Related Medical Condition
- UC Parental Bonding Leave for Staff
- UC Childbearing Leave Policy for Faculty
- Breastfeeding Stations at UCSF
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM)
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
Forms used in completing the action.
If you are unable to enroll online, use this form to enroll in, change, de-enroll/cancel, or opt out of insurance and/or flexible spending account (FSA) plans for yourself and/or your eligible family members:
Other information or tools that may be useful for completing the action, action such as checklists, templates, or FAQs.2016 Yearly Planning Calendar
Non-Faculty Academic (NFA) Pregnancy Disability Leave and Parental Leave Checklist
Maternity Leave Planning Worksheet for Non-Faculty Academics (NFA)
Maternity Leave Planning Worksheet for Health Science Compensation Plan (HSCP) Faculty
Leave Planning Worksheet for Postdoctoral Scholars
- UCnet Having a Baby
- My Family @ UCSF (connects families with support and resources)
- FEHA Rights and Obligations Notice for Pregnant Employees
Links to HR Knowledge Base entries about other actions that may be relevant.