Tips for Enrolling in Medicare

Home / Campus / ( Published on 2014-09-11 )

Enrolling in Medicare made easy

  1. If you will be, or are retired, when reach age 65, apply for Medicare three months before you reach age 65. If Medicare finds you are not eligible for coverage they will send you a "denial" letter which you will need to submit to UCOP. If you are not receiving Social Security benefits you should call or visit a Social Security office three months prior to your birthday.
  2. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits when you reach age 65, you will be enrolled automatically in both parts A and B of Medicare. If so, a Medicare card will be sent to you about 3 months before your 65th birthday and the Medicare premium will automatically be taken from your monthly Social Security benefit.
  3. Approximately 3 months prior to your 65th birthday UC will send you the following documents which you must complete prior to your 65th birthday:
    • UC Medicare Declaration Form (UBEN 126) to verify your Medicare status. All retirees/family members must submit this form with a copy of the Medicare card or a denial letter provided by the Social Security Office. Return this form and documentation to UCOP.
    • Universal Medicare Advantage Form to assign your Medicare benefits to the Medicare version of your HMO plan (Health Net, Kaiser) Return this form to your medical plan. If you are enrolled in Blue Cross Plus, Blue Cross PPO, Core or High Option, you do not need to complete the Universtal Medicare Advantage Form. Your UC medical plan will be secondary to Medicare.
  4. UCOP will transfer your medical plan enrollment to the Medicare version of you medical plan once they receive the UBEN 126 and documentation of your Medicare eligibility. Your family members enrolled in the UC-sponsored medical plan who are not eligible for Medicare will remain in the basic non-Medicare plan, as will those retirees 65 and older who are not eligible for Medicare.
  5. You do not need to enroll in a Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug) plan. In most cases your UC Medicare coordinated medical plan will enroll you in Medicare Part D, though enrollment will not change the plan’s three tier prescription drug co-pay design and you will not be required to pay an additional premium for Medicare Part D. Also, UC medical plans meet the qualification of ‘Creditable Coverage’ because they include prescription drug benefits that are equal or better than the standard Medicare Part D plan.
  6. If you are past age 65 when you retire and you or your family members have delayed enrollment in Medicare Part B, you or your family members must contact the social security office to enroll in Medicare. In addition, to the Medicare enrollment form, the social security office will require you to complete and submit an employment verification form. You must also take the initiative to complete and submit to UC, a UC Medicare Declaration form.

Period of Darkness
There is usually a three week period of transition when you transfer from a non-Medicare plan to the Medicare version of the plan. During this time period it can appear that your coverage has been terminated. It hasn’t! If you experience any problems obtaining medical care or accessing your pharmacy benefits, call you Health Care Facilitator for assistance.

Social Security coordinates Medicare enrollment and eligibility. For more information or to enroll, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Medicare website.